“I am very interested in the development of new pain relief techniques and the evolving science around Regenerative Medicine. I enjoy sharing my knowledge with other healthcare professionals so that they can join me in my passion in using the very latest technologies and most advance procedures to help patients overcome pain.”
With his cutting-edge medical knowledge and expertise, Dr. Carey is driven to go the extra-mile to reestablish hope for his patients and help them return to a normal level of function.
Dr. Carey specializes in interventional spine pain management along with the applications of Neuromodulation, also known as spinal cord stimulation, and advanced implant therapies in the field of interventional pain management. He currently serves as an educational speaker and clinical instructor of implantation workshops for Medtronics, Inc., one of the leading manufacturers of spinal cord stimulators. His academic and research interests include Medical Informatics; which is the interdisciplinary study of the design, development, adoption and application of IT-based innovations in healthcare services delivery, management and planning.
When Dr. Carey isn’t working, he enjoys spending quality time with his 3 children, Tyler, Maddison and Megan, and his 3 new puppies born on January 1, 2019. Dr. Carey is an avid cyclist and enjoys exploring new cultures through cycling tours. His favorite adventures include New Zealand, Amsterdam, Belgium, Iceland, Ireland, Zion and Bryce Canyon to just name a few.
CERTIFICATION AND APPOINTMENTS
- Board certified in both Anesthesiology and in Pain Management
- Diplomat of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
- Diplomat of the American Society of Pain Medicine Specialists
- Medical Director, Acute Pain Hospital Service, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 2002
- Fellowship Director, Pain Management Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 2002
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- American Academy of Anesthesiology
- American Academy of Pain Management
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- International Spine Injection Society
- American Medical Association
- Florida Medical Association,
- Mayo Foundation Alumni Society
- Duval County Medical Society
- Bachelor of Cellular and Molecular Biology with honors from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1984
- Master of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1986
- Medical Degree earned from Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1990
- Pain Management Fellowship, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, 1996
“Dr. Carey was instrumental in helping me avoid another surgery and I am back to work without any restrictions. Just two months after my stem cell procedure, my chronic pain has improved significantly. I am grateful we have his talents here in Jacksonville. I see this as the cutting edge of technology in stem cell therapy and regenerative medicine, and I believe it will change the treatment of chronic pain sufferers in the future.”
– Ken VanOsdol, JAX Spine & Pain Centers Patient